The Old Palace

The Old Palace
The Royal Palace, commonly referred to as the "Old Palace" or Stari Dvor, was built between 1882 and 1884 by renown architect Aleksandar Bugarski. It was his intention to build the Obrenovic dynasty a palace to outshine any other Serbian rulers of the time. Considering visiting English writer, Herbert Vivien, wrote after touring the Old Palace "what is most impressive is the good taste characterizing all objects," Bugarski seems to have achieved his goal.

Constructed in the finest traditional "academic" architecture, the Old Palace is considered a colossal achievement in elegance and style, a 40 square meter edifice punctuated with Doric columns o­n all three levels. Adorning o­ne balcony are the Cariatides, recreations of the Muses atop the Acropolis in Athens. Richly adorned balconies project out over a formal garden and the end windows are capped with ornate semi-circular tympanums.

Venetian glass, mahogany furniture from Vienna and lustrous stone floors dotted with fine Persian carpets embellish the stately interior of the Old Palace. Visitors tour palatial rooms like Red Salon, furnished with black Napoleon II antiques, decorated with elegant porcelain vases and beautiful oil paintings by renown artists. From the Yellow Salon with its portraits of infamous historical figures and wooden sculptures, the tour enters the Gala Hall, which has etched stained glass in the upper windows illustrating the struggle for liberation and the enthusiasm of the people. Overhead is an exquisite porcelain chandelier reflected in huge mirrors which make the 260 square meter room feel enormous.

The City Assembly of Belgrade currently holds sessions in the building, and local cultural events are often hosted o­n the surrounding grounds. There are frequently receptions and galas for distinguished guests in the formal ballrooms. The Old Palace is located in Belgrade at the corner of Dragoslava Jovanovica and Kralja Milana streets.