Knez Mihajlova Street

Knez Mihailova
Serbia's lovely capital city of Belgrade is also an ancient o­ne. During the time of the Roman Empire Belgrade was known as Singidunum, and Knez Mihajlova street follows the central grid plan of the old settlement that eventually grew into the bustling metropolis that Belgrade is today.

In English, o­ne would call this thoroughfare "Prince Michael street." It is a street reserved strictly for feet and protected by law as an old and valuable landmark that showcases Belgrade's Old World charm. As o­ne of the most heavily trafficked pedestrian areas in Belgrade, it contains a vast assortment of cafes, shopping venues, and other sources of entertainment. It is an essential stop o­n the itinerary of any visitor to this historic city. The real estate o­n and around Knez Mihajloza street is some of the most desirable in all of Belgrade. There are numerous opulent hotels within the immediate vicinity; the five-star Aleksandar Palas Hotel is closest.

The street has existed for quite some time but much of its current look dates to the 1800s, when a regulation plan was enacted for the city. This plan spurred many of Belgrade's wealthiest and most influential citizens to build mansions and other buildings o­n Knez Mihajlova street. Most of them are no longer used for their original purposes, but they still stand today.

A Few Sights to See o­n Knez Mihajlova Street

The Srpska Kruna Hotel sits at 56 Prince Michael Street. Built in 1869, it o­nce housed the National Library of Serbia and is now home to the Library of the City of Belgrade.

At 53-55 Knez Mihajlova street is a Renaissance mansion built in 1889 for Marko Stojanović, a lawyer. The Axademy of Fine Arts was o­nce quartered here.

The Serbian Academy of Arts
The Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts building can be found at number 35.

The Hotel Russia, found at number 38, was built in 1870. Today it holds private offices, so sightseers may have to be satisfied with an exterior view.